Caregiver in Seattle WA
If you have noticed your elderly parents are showing signs that they are no longer able to take care of themselves safely, you may be considering taking on the role of their caregiver. Making the decision to become a family caregiver for your aging parents is not one you should take lightly. Before you make this major step you should carefully consider all that this role entails and whether you are capable of fulfilling all of the obligations in a way that will give your parents the happy, healthy, and safe quality of life they deserve.
As you think through the possibility of stepping up to care for your aging parents, take the time to ask yourself if you are truly ready for this role. Discuss the issue with your partner to ensure you have all of the support you need as you prepare and being this new phase in your life.
Use these questions to evaluate whether you are ready to being providing care for your elderly loved ones:
- Do you know the extent of your parents’ physical, emotional, cognitive, and medical needs?
- Do you live close enough to your parents to provide care?
- Are you clear on what to expect as the years progress and your parents get older?
- Are you prepared to handle increased needs?
- Do you know what symptoms your parents have and what to do if they worsen?
- Do you have physical limitations that may make it difficult or even impossible for you to fulfill all of the tasks of caregiving?
- Do you have emotional limitations that make you uncomfortable with certain tasks, such as helping your parents with usually private activities including bathing, dressing, and toileting?
- Do your parents need help during the night and are you capable of providing this help?
- Do you have the time to fulfill all of the needs your parents have while still balancing your career, marriage, and parenthood?
- Do your parents need to transition into living in your home to get the level of help they need? Is your home big enough to handle this and are you willing to make this change in your life and the life of your family?
- Is the home where your parents will live safe for them? Would major changes need to be made to handle their safety needs? Are you capable of making these changes?
- Do you know what types of supplies and equipment you need in order to care for them efficiently? Do you know where to get these supplies?
- Are you financially prepared to take on additional expenses related to caring for your parents?
If you or an aging loved one are considering hiring caregiver services in Seattle, WA, call Guest Home Care. Our compassionate staff is happy to speak with you about your needs. Call today (425) 268-7988.